What version of windows do I have?? Is it the same question you keep wondering about? Well if it so, I have got a good news for you! The good news is, today herein, I’m supposed to share a comprehensive guide on Windows versions.
Finding out which windows version are you using can be certainly a tough job for you if you are not much into technology. But for those with basic computer knowledge how to determine the version of Windows on a computer is probably the easiest task.
If you also consider Windows version determination as the tough task, you surely are going to break your misconception as sooner you finish reading the guide. Having knowledge about your windows version or system type (whether it is a 32bit Operating system or 64-bit) comes out to be very handy when it comes on troubleshooting system errors.
Now without having to delay further, we should move ahead to learn the techniques to determine quickly which version of Windows you have. Trust me, its damn easy!
How To Determine What Version Of Windows Do I Have
I believe if you are a computer user, at least, you know which OS are you using. For example, if you are using windows XP, windows 7, or any other. Because of that, I’ve sub-divided my guide into various sub-sections where, I’ll describe the detailed methods to determine windows versions and system type in different operating systems. There are a number of methods available in each OS to find out the windows version.
I’ve tried to cover all the methods in an easy way to find out windows version in all the possible operating systems.
# Windows XP
If you are a Windows XP user, you can find out your Windows version by using the run window.
- Click on the start menu and go to Run, or simply press Windows key+R.
- Now type there winver and press enter or click on OK.
- As sooner you click on it, an About window will prompt. There, you can see the version of windows you have. I’ve grabbed a screenshot for you to make you understand, where to see your windows version.
The second way to go to the About window is by Using Command prompt. See how,
- First of all, go to the Start menu> All programs.
- Then hover your cursor over Accessories and click on Command prompt.
- Now in the command prompt window, type winver command and press enter.
- As sooner you press enter, the About window will be opened where you can see the windows version.
# Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1
Most of the people like to use Windows 7 as their operating system. Therefore, I’ve specifically provided its screenshots. There are a number of ways through which you can find out windows version in Windows 7. The ways I’ll show you to check out your Windows version works in possibly all the windows from windows 7 to up to Windows 8.1.
Using the run window. Follow exactly the same method I told you above.
- Press windows+R key.
- Type winver command and press enter or click on Ok.
- As sooner you do this, About Windows window will open containing all the information you are looking for.
- Or you can directly type the same command in the search box of the start menu.
The second method involves the Command prompt.
- Click on Start menu and type cmd in the search box and press enter.
- In the command prompt, type winver and press enter.
- The very next moment, you’ll see About Windows window.
The third way to see your computers information goes through the Control panel.
- Click on Start menu and go to Control Panel.
- In the control panel items provided, click on System.
- The window which opened contains the every little information from your Windows version to System type, whether its 32-bit operating system or 64-bit.
But, the method is applicable in all the OS and going to the System, you’ll see the same windows as below but for different operating systems containing all the information as provided below.
You can also view your Windows version by going to the computer properties. For this,
- On your desktop, right-click on My Computer and go to Properties.
- You’ll be on the same computer information windows you reach by following the method 3.
The method 5 to reach to the system information is given below.
- Last but not the least, and probably the easiest trick to reach to the computer information window is by pressing the combination of keys Windows key+Pause/break.
- That’s it, press both the keys together and view your required information.
# Windows 10
Unlike above mentioned operating systems, finding out windows information on Windows 10 is little different. What steps you need to follow to find out system information is given below.
- First of all, click on the Start menu and enter into About your PC.
- Now under PC, you can view your windows edition.
The second method is by going to the control panel. Go to Control Panel and then System. This method is exactly same as we learnt above in different OS.
Using winver command. The winver command works in Windows 10 as well.
- In Cortana’s search field, enter winver and press Enter.
- Choose the winver search result.
- The next moment, About Windows window, will open.
You can also try rest of the method in Windows 10 as well. I’ve not tried all the methods by myself on Windows 10, but I believe they will work!
These are almost all the windows you can think of. I’ve attempted to give here the detailed description on all the available windows versions. The Windows’ version determination is very tough if you don’t know the proper method. But, once you know how to do it, it’s just a matter of few clicks.
Still have any doubt regarding what version of windows do I have then, comment below. I’ll try to solve your doubts as soon as possible. And if the guide was helpful to you, let the world know by sharing it on your social mediums!