Changing Gmail address easily without losing your mind? It seems impossible a task for almost every one of us. Undoubtedly, to a lot of people, it seems a perplexing task. Adding to it, the fear of missing out on important e-mails or communications is always nagging at the back of the mind.
After marriage, a lot of women tends to change their name on Gmail, or for whatever good reasons you want to change your Gmail address, take a look at How to change Gmail address in easy steps. But before doing this, it is very important to understand the consequences that can result by changing your Gmail address.
One of the consequence is that user’s old address will continue to appear in their friends’ Google+ circles. In case you remove the old address the user will no longer be in those circles, and people in the user’s circle will have to add that user again using the user’s new email address.
Given that, now if changing your account name is irreplaceable take a look at How to change an e-mail address:
Adding an Alternate Login Email Address in Gmail
All email notifications are sent to the primary email address. Gmail allows you to enter alternate email addresses for email access. Take a look at how you can add alternate Gmail address:
- Log into your Gmail account and then click “My Account.”
- In the “Personal Info & Privacy” section, select Your personal info.
- Click “Edit” next to “Email addresses.”
- Enter the alternate email address by click the drop down arrow with option “Advanced” and then click on “Save.”
- Now, in your inbox, you will see a verification message with the new changes. Open the message and click on the link to confirm the change.
- Recheck your email for the confirmation message.
Changing Display Name in Gmail
The display name is the name seen by recipients of your emails. You can easily change your display name via these steps on How to Change Your Name on Gmail:
- Log into your email and click the Gear on the top, then Settings.
- In your Settings, go to the Accounts and Import tab.
- You will see a tab that says Send Mail As, click the Edit Info link next to the account you would like to update.
- Select the button next to the second option below Name. Type your desired display name and Save Changes.
Now, in case your recipients have saved your name with some other name, i.e. a different name then they will continue to see that name only. No updates will be made to this.
How to change Gmail address in easy steps
In Gmail, changing a name within a username is possible, but changing the whole username is not possible. For example, changing your username from firstname.lastname@example.org to email@example.com is not possible.
Take a look at the way of How Do You Change Your Primary Username on Gmail.com:
- Now, you will need to create a second Gmail account. So this time, choose the desired username wisely.
- Now create a new account with the desired username.
- Now, set up forwarding from the old Gmail to the new Gmail and check all of your messages in one place.
Now, let’s see how you can set the forwarding:
- Open Gmail and click the gear icon
- Select Settings
- Select the “Forwarding and POP/IMAP” tab and Click on “Add a forwarding address.”
- Enter your new email address
- You’ll get a verification email at your new email address, click that verification link.
Automatically, you will receive all your e-mails in the new e-mail address. You can even set up filter- specific e-mail forwards, so you don’t bring along any junk or spam to your new email.
How to Remove Dots from Gmail Address
Usually, the id with dots tends to confuse the users. They confuse the email id and maximum times tend to feel that they send the mail to a wrong one. But to your surprise, dot doesn’t make a difference in the e-mail id.
You’d get any emails people send to your address even if they forgot to include the dots.
For example- The message sent to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com will go to the same place.
Change your email display name on iPhone or iPad
Now, in case you want to change the name that is displayed as the sender when sending emails in iPhone or iPad, take a look at the steps:
- On your iPhone or iPad, click on Settings and then select the option Mail, Contacts, Calendars.
- Select the email account you want to edit and tap on the email address listed on the Account tab.
- Delete the current name and replace it with the new one. Press on done, to apply the changes.
And you are done!
Migrating to Gmail
Now, in case you want to change your e-mail address to a whole new webmail service, for e.g. you want to shift from yahoo.com to gmail.com, then take a look at the process:
- Set up your Gmail account and sign-in. Click the gear icon, then select “Settings.”
- Open the “Accounts and Import” tab. In the “Check mail from other accounts” section, select the “Add a POP3 mail account you own” option.
- Enter your old email address and select “Next Step” and then enter your password.
- Now, just select the options you want like archiving old messages, etc.
- To finish, click “Add Account”.
So, the crux of How to change Gmail address in easy steps is that you can change the name that’s linked to your email address, but you can’t change your whole email address. For that, you have to create a new e-mail address.
One of the biggest problems of a new email address is that you have to update your information in all your online accounts. Remembering all your accounts can be a tough task, so try using password managers that make the process easier. You got to tell your friends, family, and all your professional contacts. Now this can be a serious pain!
You can resort to this method for some ease. Go to your old email account, create an auto-responder and create a message that tells recipients about your new address.
So, it is always recommended to wisely ditch your old e-mail address for a new one.